BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Why fit aftermarket exhausts?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  eg_hybrid 
#1 ·
The four reasons I can think of are:
1. Appearance: you’ve got to like the way your bike looks, so why not.
2. Sound: has some merit from a safety standpoint, but also signals your whereabouts to the fuzz.
3. Cheaper than replacing original parts usually.
4. Performance increase: a good aftermarket pipe is about the simplest and cheapest form, dollar/HP of power increase.
However in lieu of no. 4 , if you want to go faster with more safety, the best monetary investment you can make is to spend on more training in the form of advanced rider courses, race schools, and track days.
:cool IMHO:cool

#5 ·
I'm thinking about replacing mine for the purpose of looks. A bonus would be a nice sound. But then at the same time, with a different exhaust flow, there may be more work to be done...

How many people our there with carburated bikes had to do jet work after getting a slip-on can?

G
#7 ·
huck-jai said:
most bikes with carbs should get a jet kit after getting a slip on...
u'll get optimum performance that way
for sure, at least get a stage 1 jet kit if u have an aftermarket system or even just the slip-on. im doing that right now, or else you'll have problems such as running a little lean. :D

like the conversation i had with BOMAX, its funny how guys spend over $1000 bux on a full system (or eve $1000 on just the slip-on) and wont dish out the $150 for the jet-kit so that it works properly. :D :thumbup

#10 ·
Like I said earlier, to me noise is a mixed blessing. It may certainly be beneficial to alert the - blind - distracted - stupid - careless - drunk (pick appropriate category) driver to your presence, but one of the down sides is the perception of speed, right or wrong, that people have from (particularly an inline four) a bike on the pipe.

I had an experience riding home from work when I lived in Washington. It was one of the few occasions I used the Gixer (which has a very loud old Yosh can). I’d been home about two minutes when I saw this minivan drive in to the cul de sac outside the house. The woman drivers head was scanning like a radar dish. She saw the bike in the driveway, stopped the car, and came storming down the drive, arms flailing wildly ranting and raving about some bloody lunatic, who the F*** did I think I was. Didn’t I know this was a residential area, "you must have been doing 60mph…", blah blah blah. My Ten year old daughter came out to see what all the noise was just as I was about to launch (verbally) at this Rottweiler of a woman. Now I had to bite my tongue and reserve some of the many wonderful insults and swear words we enjoy in the English language, for some other occasion. I tried to reason with the fuming banshee, that, as a parent, I could understand that she would be concerned about the speeds that we occasionally saw around our streets but that I had not exceeded the speed limit at any time nor did I EVER in residential areas, but my bike was very loud and perhaps gave the impression of speed. This was totally unacceptable to her and she started talking about getting the police. At this point I got a little concerned, as it would be her word against mine, Biker against Mum! and as I was working down there on a work related visa, I knew how easily it could be yanked (If you’ll excuse the pun). I had to reassure her that it was not going to happen again, and be very diplomatic. Ouch that hurt.
The point is that Mrs. Homemaker with the sixth sense built in Doppler Radar was mistaken. I did not, nor do I ever speed in residential areas. She had confused Decibels with Velocity.

The Pipe on my bike is going to get changed for something quieter. Ten minutes is fun, any more is irritating, and quite honestly I don’t want to prewarn certain elements of my arrival. I ride defensively instead.

#11 ·
Ya I agree with Huck-Jai and CBR600F2 about rejetting. I put a race Hindle slip-on and K&N in my bike it is running noticeably leaner below 5k RPM. It also needs a few more minutes in the morning to warm-up than when I had everything stock. Above 5 it definitely has more power.:thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.