BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats with peoples views on kawi. Maybe Im missing the hate on the other jap bikes, but why are kawi owners the only ones who seem to like them? From what Ive seen theyve had some rather cool designs and concepts. The ZRX is a sweet lookin bike, and theyre the only ones with the irregular rotor discs (which give better feel). Did they have some bad years, or do none of you like kawi green?
 

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
Wave rotor.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i like the kawi but will be the first to admit the new zx10 looks like a pile of rotting shit
 

·
Ride Solo
Joined
·
4,214 Posts
CrashTested said:
Wave rotor.
Nah. The last Kawi (= junk) that I lspent time on definitely had the "irregular" rotors. They definitely gave good feel...of how warped they were.
 

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
GSP said:
Nah. The last Kawi (= junk) that I ls pent time on definitely had the "irregular" rotors. They definitely gave good feel...of how warped they were.
:lolup Only ever ridden 2 and they were both pre-irregular-wave rotor :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Big Stick said:
i like the kawi but will be the first to admit the new zx10 looks like a pile of rotting shit
+1.....
:rockon
 

·
builder of bikes
Joined
·
4,802 Posts
Big Stick said:
i like the kawi but will be the first to admit the new zx10 looks like a pile of rotting shit
+2

matty67 said:
From what Ive seen they've had some rather cool designs and concepts. The ZRX is a sweet lookin bike, and theyre the only ones with the irregular rotor discs (which give better feel). Did they have some bad years, or do none of you like kawi green?
No cool designs or concepts. ZRX looks ok. Wave rotors are like spokey dokeys, no "better feel". It makes the uninformed buy the bike. Did they have some bad years? Have they had a good year? GREEN on a sportbike?

Kawi makes a lot of excellent bikes. Not cutting edge sportbikes though (notice the plural there). They came close with the 2004 ZX10, but it was just a catch up. The new ZX10 is wrong on one too many levels. I've ridden a coupld Kawis and have yet to be floored.

Kawi is like the annoying kid from next door that's one year younger than you and your friends. He follows you everywhere and you can make him do stupid things to impress you. Good kid, just trying too hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
I made this exact same post like 2 months ago, its weird hey, people just arent feeling the kawa. Although i think most of the hate is on the pre 2002 models.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i hate cuz i love .
lol

91-92 zx7 -96 -03 zx7r (ask the haters even they know the zx7r was a hell of a bike,EBOZ was beating 1000'cc gixxers and honda's on it for a while )
zx11 (used to be the fastest production bike )
2001 zx6r ,zx9r (good all around bikes)
2004 zx10r (almost everything but def most )
2003 -2004 636 (the rear not the upper)
2005 636 (the front not the back )
2006 zx10r (almost the front and the ohlins damper ,,thats about it)
The zxRR Gp bike ,,awsome bike,lots oh HP ,needs better riders and lots more money put into it .
zrx,various dirtbikes.

Im sure even the haters know the good and the winning pedigree.Its only that they are not cutting edge or taking chances like they can ,HAydens,bostrom kiked ass on em .Zx10r won sportbike of the year ,zx6 has won championships in each of its forms ,so has the zx7 .So its there .BUt the undertails,tiny wave rotors,making the rear ends look 600 pounds heavier ,weird un readable tach designs,it goes on a bit .Im only making a personal opinion ,since it would be my money that pays for one of em .So il stick to modifying them the way i like and when they make a better looking bike i just MAY NOT cut it up ,,but thats not too likely .My next project is a kawi ad im sure all after that wil be as well ,but in the form i wish they made em in .BUt stil the frame and motor of a kawi .

remember when you were a kid and you hit the girl you liked ? in my personal case same thing here.
 

·
Twin A
Joined
·
8,019 Posts
pre 2002 models.
more like post 2002 models.. it's the newer models that leave people shaking their heads. Superficially the new bikes are not exactly the best looking. they take a bit to get used to thats for sure..the new zx10r is terrible, those headlights are fucking awful, the zx14 makes me want to puke. what do you expect, the motorcycle end of things in kawasaki heavy is tiny in comparison, I'm sure their R&D budget is small, and the communication within the company probably has a lot of red tape. I'm starting to think the design team is either blind, or semi-retarded.
in the old 750 competitions they never got the hype of the gsxr as they were always heavier, and slower, and you know everbody got to have the fastest thing available, right?
but it's easy to trash talk the ugly duckling.
The older bikes, ahem, like the 7r are way better looking, especially considering they ran them for what 7 years, with the only change being the colours. it's a design thats stood the test of time.

I'm not a brand loyalist really, up until I bought my track 7 i was split evenly between honda, and kawis purchased. But I've got 7r's and I like em -they are good for what I do.. i better like them, i'm not planning on buying any more bikes in the near future.

BCSB would be boring if there wasn't any drama or trash talking.. you've got to have something to talk about, alot of the times opinions are taken literally, or sarcasm misinterpreted..
who cares what somebody else thinks of your ride anyways? we all can't own Repsol edition 1000rs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,666 Posts
This goes WAY, WAY, WAy back in the day....and yes, it's a running joke.

I believe the earliest iteration of this running joke far predates purevil's "kawi = junk" rhetoric. For the first year+ of BCSB, the top poster (quantity, not necessarily quality ;)) was a guy named Human. And we're talking like 10-15 posts per day. And one thing you need to know about Human is that he has a hard-on for Kawasaki like no other.

Well, his constant level of Kawi worship prompted many to take an opposing view...even if they didn't really care one way or the other about Kawasaki motorcycles.

Also, me being a huge Kawasaki fan, and also one of the top posters (again, quanitiy, not quality) didn't help matters either.

So there you go...your daily BCSB history lesson.
 

·
Twin A
Joined
·
8,019 Posts
years later people will be asking you about the Lance thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
The K green is a turn off.

Take it from an old timer who owned Kawasaki bikes that were legends in their day. In the late sixties and early seventies K bikes were worshipped.

Their 2 stroke 500s and 750s were the fastest things on wheels.

When they introduced the Z1, the motorcycle world was stunned. 900cc of pure unadulterated 4 stroke power. Most sport bike 4 cylinder engines today are based on that design. It was also nicnamed the "widow maker".

Kawasaki revolutionized motorcycling.

I still own a K bike.

http://www.khi.co.jp/mcycle/museum/gpz900r/history/index_e.html
 

·
Newbie Poser Squid
Joined
·
2,709 Posts
Harps said:
This goes WAY, WAY, WAy back in the day....and yes, it's a running joke.

I believe the earliest iteration of this running joke far predates purevil's "kawi = junk" rhetoric. For the first year+ of BCSB, the top poster (quantity, not necessarily quality ;)) was a guy named Human. And we're talking like 10-15 posts per day. And one thing you need to know about Human is that he has a hard-on for Kawasaki like no other.

Well, his constant level of Kawi worship prompted many to take an opposing view...even if they didn't really care one way or the other about Kawasaki motorcycles.

Also, me being a huge Kawasaki fan, and also one of the top posters (again, quanitiy, not quality) didn't help matters either.

So there you go...your daily BCSB history lesson.
I think J's ribbing of Rod's choice of bikes did not help either.

Where is Human anyway? I miss seeing pics of his collection of Kawasakis...he even got a few in his bedroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,614 Posts
cosworth said:
Kawi is like the annoying kid from next door that's one year younger than you and your friends. He follows you everywhere and you can make him do stupid things to impress you. Good kid, just trying too hard.
That pretty much sums it up. :D
 

·
Posing with conviction
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Jaybo said:
the new zx10r is terrible, those headlights are fucking awful, the zx14 makes me want to puke. what do you expect, the motorcycle end of things in kawasaki heavy is tiny in comparison, I'm sure their R&D budget is small, and the communication within the company probably has a lot of red tape. I'm starting to think the design team is either blind, or semi-retarded.
Funny... If Kawasaki marketing and design people tripped over these threads they would prolly commit seppuka. I wonder if they have any sense of the amount of vilification that is directed their way about the appearance of their bikes.
 

·
rain? whats that!
Joined
·
5,834 Posts
I thought kawi=junk was based on their reputation for (un)reliability?

Every bike manufacturer has its quirks I suppose, Honda = bad electrical components, Yami = bad trannies in R6, Kawi, well = junk.... :p .... but was there a batch of bikes in a certain time frame that were notoriously unreliable?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,666 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
I thought kawi=junk was based on their reputation for (un)reliability?

Every bike manufacturer has its quirks I suppose, Honda = bad electrical components, Yami = bad trannies in R6, Kawi, well = junk.... :p .... but was there a batch of bikes in a certain time frame that were notoriously unreliable?
Ummm...I don't think they really have that reputation, do they? I always thought of them as pretty bullet proof bikes...based off of reputational capital, not personal experience.

Based off personal experience...
I've had like 4 Kawasakis, 3 Hondas, 2 Suzukis and 1 Yamaha. The Kawis were by far the most reliable (I had a couple of old beaters, and also a couple of new ones), with the Suzukis being the least reliable (both were old though). The Hondas had electrical issues, as you would expect, as well as a couple other small things. And the Yamaha has been okay so far, but it requires a lot more preventative maintenance....however, it's a dirtbike, not a sportbike, so you can't really make the comparison.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top