BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I have been doing quite a bit of reading and I joined the website with the express purpose of posting a question.I have been riding dirtbikes since I was a kid. When I was 19, I got a Yamaha Virago 750 (cruiser type) and rode the heck out of it for three months. Since I was a minor, I took the MSF Beginners course before I got my license. I am now 22 and looking to purchase a motorcycle. My question is:Would it be extremely foolhardy to get a 600 cc sportbike?Now, I am not going to go out and buy a race bike like an R6 or an F4i or something. I would be looking more at a CBR 600 or so. I plan to buy complete protective gear and enroll in classes at a nearby track. I would not consider myself a beginner (then again, nobody does) but I understand that I am absolutely inexperienced on a street sportbike. Your thoughts?

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,308 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about an older CBR600 and not a 2003+ CBR600RR?

Realistically, that bike and the newer RR 600's will be quite similar. With your experience and apparent level-headedness, I think you'll be fine on any 600 supersport. I would never recommend a 600 to a new rider, but with a few courses and some cruiser experience under your belt, you really should be quite fine. I say do your training, get a full set of gear, and then go and buy whatever bike gets you excited.

·
Registered
451 Posts
how many ks did you put on the virago? what happened to it?

im confused about what bike you are interested in getting. an f4i IS a cbr600. the most current version of cbr is called cbr600rr, its absolutely a supersport, its a diff generation of f4i which was also considered a supersport.

there are kind of tuned down 600s, like yzf 600 or fz6, but people dont track them that much. those bikes are usually recommended as fine for everyone, even with no moto exp. if you are interested in one of these bikes, i would recommend you look into what kind of upgrades are suggested for track use and how available they are. if you are looking to put in a lot of track time, im not sure its nec to get one of these bikes that just have a lot of stuff needing to be change. it seems like overkill

for bikes that are tracked a lot, and also arent too scary, the most common is the sv650. lots of parts and upgrades around for it, it is a very common racebike, and very inexpensive to buy new or used. its a vtwin, does something like 60-70 hp, quite reliable, not superfast in a straight line but corners great with the right suspension.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
As crazyshannon said, don't kid yourself that the CBR 600 is somehow safer than an R6. Yeah it's a bit less power, but still over 100hp.
That said, a motorcycle doesn't just steer you into the ditch or go fast for no reason. It only does what you tell it to do. Supersports are risky for new riders because new riders tend to not be used to a bike, and tend to be young and want to show off to their friends how fast they can go.

So if you're smarter, and you're used to bikes, and you have a healthy respect for how quickly you can kill yourself on a bike, then you'll likely be fine. The biggest risk is from yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton to each of you for your input. I appreciate all of the info and suggestions.

·
Resident Contrarian
634 Posts
If you really, really have your heart set on a 600CC class - look at an SV650, GS500, Ninja 650 etc. Those are much more reasonable bikes.

I always believe a 250 is a good starter, and the barely depreciate with use. Buy one for 3K, ride it for a couple months (or longer) and sell it for $2500 after. It's not much of a hit when you consider how much riding costs for insurance, gear, and maintenance

·
Registered
891 Posts
don't kid yourself that the CBR 600 is somehow safer than an R6. Yeah it's a bit less power, but still over 100hp.
Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but when you say it's a bit less power, you mean "it's in same CLASS but the R6 is just superior in regards to power", right?

Buy one for 3K, ride it for a couple months (or longer) and sell it for $2500 after.
Probably better to ride it longer. Now I know everyone's different, and since he already has experience on a motorcycle, I think it takes more than a few months to "know" a bike. I don't think you can really understand a motorcycle, specially as a new rider, in under one season.

I'm on a 250r (second one) and I'm confident to say I'm comfortable on that bike and know it a lot more compared to when I first started riding, but I'm sure there's more to learn and improve. With that said, I really really want a 650r and I'm jealous of you!

edit: i didn't mean OP should get a 250. i meant real/fresh new riders in general.

·
Registered
451 Posts
a 250? he already took the course, had a bike, knows the basics of how to ride and wants to get on the track. if he should get a 250 now, then what should people with zero exp get? is a 250 nin rly much harder to ride than a 750 virago? imo no

not hating on the ninjette, i mean its been around for a long time, nice fan base, great power and seat height for beginners, people buy em and never 'upgrade', they can even be tracked and often are, but its appropriateness depends on what kind of rider you are and where you want to be.

on seasons- not the best measuring stick, it's so relative, with some people doing 5k/season and others doing 40k. and then the type of roads you are on, who you are riding with, how much training, how much track time. not all 1- or 2-yr riders are built the same.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but when you say it's a bit less power, you mean "it's in same CLASS but the R6 is just superior in regards to power", right?
R6 seems to have about 20-30 more crank HP depending on the year. So yes, more than a "bit" more, but not enough of a difference that the CBR600 could be considered slow by any stretch.

·
Resident Contrarian
634 Posts
I'm on a 250r (second one) and I'm confident to say I'm comfortable on that bike and know it a lot more compared to when I first started riding, but I'm sure there's more to learn and improve. With that said, I really really want a 650r and I'm jealous of you!
It's a vastly improved bike. Feels like a 250, but with more power and bigger tires. It's unbelievable how much more comfortable it is for longer rides as well. Also nice to not have to redline the bike to have some fun!

R6 seems to have about 20-30 more crank HP depending on the year. So yes, more than a "bit" more, but not enough of a difference that the CBR600 could be considered slow by any stretch.
Having ridden both - the R6 is one ridiculously twitchy bike for regular street riding/commuting IMO. The CBR is a bit better, but its power to weight ratio is still crazy compared to most cars.

·
Squid Launcher
539 Posts
I'd say with your experience, dwood, I don't think a 600cc sport bike is out of the question.

My analysis on this matter is that if you are already here asking the opinions of more experienced riders and use words like "foodhardy" to assess the potential risk which you may imbue yourself with, then your attitude is already a good start on sport bikes. Nothing is more valuable than learning something with humility-- as you've addressed in your interest in wearing fully protective gear and enrolling in classes on the track. Respect your ride and those that teach you and you will gain the experience you seek. Good on ya for posting this!

·
Registered
806 Posts
My first street bike was an 09 Kawasaki ER-6n (Naked version of ninja 650r). Prior to that I had a couple of years of experience riding dirtbikes. As long as you're responsible about it ER-6n / ninja 650 gets my vote.

·
Super Moderator
23,556 Posts
Hi everyone,I have been doing quite a bit of reading and I joined the website with the express purpose of posting a question.I have been riding dirtbikes since I was a kid. When I was 19, I got a Yamaha Virago 750 (cruiser type) and rode the heck out of it for three months. Since I was a minor, I took the MSF Beginners course before I got my license. I am now 22 and looking to purchase a motorcycle. My question is:Would it be extremely foolhardy to get a 600 cc sportbike?Now, I am not going to go out and buy a race bike like an R6 or an F4i or something. I would be looking more at a CBR 600 or so. I plan to buy complete protective gear and enroll in classes at a nearby track. I would not consider myself a beginner (then again, nobody does) but I understand that I am absolutely inexperienced on a street sportbike. Your thoughts?
Sounds like your head's screwed on just fine, so I'm guessing you'll be a-ok.

Cusrious, why are you posting on a BC sportbike forum, when you're from Utah?

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
My first street bike was a 89 cbr600 f2 bought it new. I'm still alive. Rode it for 2 years then bought a 91, 900 fireblade after that. Still alive.

Still alive today with functioning arms, legs, brain, etc.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Keith Code uses the age-old "XYZ doesn't kill people. People kill people." type argument. In his example, it's not the motorcycle that kills you, it's the person in the saddle....take a long, realistic look in the mirror, you'll find your answer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My first bike was a 600F3.

It was the first motorcycle I had ever been on and I pretty much taught myself how to ride it by sneaking out at all hours while living in the valley and still going to high school.

I would seriously advise against this lol.

Reason being, you're so new to riding that it's hard to understand where you're making mistakes and because of that, you want to be on a motorcycle which will allow you to make those mistakes without putting you at risk of a fatal accident. That's part of the reason why riding schools (I later went through the ProRide course) put you on such low CC bikes.

I think a 600 is something you can quickly grow into, most of my friends who picked up 250r's were ready to trade them in after 3-4 months. But it's all about your personal learning curve and the amount of power your comfortable with, that takes time to learn so when in doubt - always go with a smaller bike.

Trading up is easy.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
Your first bike IS NOT going to be your last bike. Hell you might even switch bikes a few times in the first year.

Might as well get a cheapo learner bike to drop a couple times on. (90% of new riders will drop their bikes at least one in their first year)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts