BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Not wearing pants.
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried fitting a sportbike in a Cessna, or any other smaller personal aircraft? Which planes will have the payload capacity for a bike and spares, and the ability to get the bike in and out?

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
um i'm gonna say that's a negative rebel leader.. a beaver might be able to deal with the weight but still there's no room, i freelly admit i'm guessing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
with the dry weight of the bike it would be able to ride in a cessna but there would be no way to get it in. ... call the boundry bay airport and try and find Laura Cooper. she injoys these types of question

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Can't you just put wings on the bike?

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I have read that there is a Smart car with a gixer 1000 engine in it.
I don't know about swapping plane engines with bike ones

·
Addicted to two wheels
2,615 Posts
Why would you want to do that? The lycoming engine has proved its' worth and is very reliable. Then you have to deal with water cooling and carb freezing not to mention the oil system in the R1 which only works with G-force in one direction.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
English as a second language....seems like a good idea...Comprehension ??

1 a: the act or action of grasping with the intellect : understanding b: knowledge gained by comprehending c: the capacity for understanding fully <mysteries that are beyond our comprehension>

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why would you want to do that? The lycoming engine has proved its' worth and is very reliable. Then you have to deal with water cooling and carb freezing not to mention the oil system in the R1 which only works with G-force in one direction.
most cessna's don't have an inverted oil system, let alone an inverted fuel system. I took a C172 upside down, engine lasted all of about 4 sec, rolled it back over and since the prop was windmilling it just started up like a dream.

anyways, about the question.. you wanna look at the useful load for the aircraft, even if a small cessna could carry it you're gonna have to be about 100lbs with half tanks. and second, its very dangerous. no cessna is made to carry a motorcycle. even if you did put it in a caravan or a beaver if it got loose you could easily crash. airplanes are all about center of gravity and in a small airplane if you move about 350lbs a foot back and don't correct it, you'd pitch up, stall and prob enter a spin and dive to the ground. what if the bike slides back towards the tail? how are you gonna get back there (and fly at the same time) and pull it forward, you're dead. as a pilot myself i would not fly a motorcycle in a cessna, too much risk, if you need to transport it let the pros do it. you'll never see a cessna operated by a transport company hauling that sort of thing.

·
Banned
940 Posts
I'll put it in my backpack and carry it for you wherever you need to go.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
as a pilot myself i would not fly a motorcycle in a cessna, too much risk
And yet:

I took a C172 upside down, engine lasted all of about 4 sec, rolled it back over and since the prop was windmilling it just started up like a dream.
Too much risk? And yet you perform aerobatics in an airplane specifically not certified for it. Odd. Your definition of risk seems awfully selective.

·
Registered
146 Posts
And yet:

Too much risk? And yet you perform aerobatics in an airplane specifically not certified for it. Odd. Your definition of risk seems awfully selective.
im gonna take a really wild guess and say you're not a pilot. putting a motorcycle in a cessna is totally different than doing aerobatics. second of all, cessnas are certified to do spins, spiral dives, stalls, etc (and every training school is required to do those maneuvers with their students) so you saying that isn't not certified for it, is wrong. as long as you don't exceed the G limit in the + or - direction and respect the V speeds, you will be fine in any aircraft. "aerobatic" aircraft just have a higher G limit of say around +9g to -7g and the C-172 is +3.8g to -1.5g and therefore are better suited for complicated aerobatics.

there is no such thing as being selective with risk. risk is risk. its what you're willing to take. im totally fine with doing aerobatic maneuvers in a cessna, if the engine didn't start again i could easily glide and do an emergency landing on one of many things. (we are also trained for this type of situation.) with all the things that could go wrong i'm willing to take the risk because of all my training and experience so far. if you can't do that when you hop in an airplane you shouldn't be a pilot. i didn't train to carry a motorcycle in the back of a cessna....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts