BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Not wearing pants.
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge Caravan?

Absurd question, I know...

I'm back in Vancouver for school, left my bike in a friends' garage in Calgary for storage while I was in Europe for the fall. I want to get it back, and its way too cold to ride it back through the Rockies. I figure I'll rent a vehicle within the next two weeks to bring it back home, and had originally planned to rent a truck. Gas for the 1000km trip won't be cheap with a big Ford or GM, so I clued into the fact that maybe a Caravan with the stow 'n go seating (seats fold into the floor) would accommodate an R6. Without it here, I can't take any measurements to see if it'll fit - does anyone know what cars that a rental place will have, that will hold a sportbike?

·
who farted?
525 Posts
No way in hell will it fit, unless its on its side. Just ask to rent a cargo van and make sure you ask for unlimited km's, i know Avis does unlimited km's on some cars.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Didn't someone ask this a few weeks ago? Short answer .... ermm - no

·
Fuelled by rice
4,468 Posts
if you rent a cargo truck then you can tie it down and put other stuff in there as well

·
Registered
565 Posts
The rear opening of my 2005 Caravan is 39" high, by 50" wide. My FZ6 is 45" to the handlebars, so depending on what bike you're thinking of loading, I think you'd be out of luck. You could, however, remove the wheels, if that is a realistic option. Wouldn't work with my FZ6 because the pipes are the lowest point and I wouldn't transport it like that. On its side it would fit.

And by the way, with a regular Caravan (not sto-n-go), you can remove all the seats and leave them at home. Great for hauling drywall and plywood.

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Any Chevy Astro/GMC Safari can fit a sportbike without having to remove anything. Even two if you really want to.

You may be able fit your R6 into a Caravan is you remove the windscreen and possibly deflating the tires.

Your best best is to put it on a pallet and ship the darn thing.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
You've probably considered this but ...is your car strong enough to haul a smaller 'U-Haul' trailer? That would be my first choice all-round.

·
MM1117RF
246 Posts
I did some long distance moving before for major compagnies like United Van lines, Atlas, ect...Used to add boats, bikes, cars at the rear of the trailer. Call these compagnies and ask when's next time there's a load heading to Vancouver and if there's room for your bike. They're already going this way so it's easy for them to add your stuff for cheap. You can also insure it.

They will pick it up at you're friend's place and "drop" it to your door !
Don't have to go to Calgary ! Do the paperwork here.

Hope this can help....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Any Chevy Astro/GMC Safari can fit a sportbike without having to remove anything.

Your best best is to put it on a pallet and ship the darn thing.

Yes to both.
This guy's good.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
hey klutch R,... didn't know you used the same name on R6messagenet..
anyway, based on what you saw on the pic.. i'm sure your question has been answered.

·
DELTA-ONE
795 Posts
Dodge Caravan?

Absurd question, I know...

I'm back in Vancouver for school, left my bike in a friends' garage in Calgary for storage while I was in Europe for the fall. I want to get it back, and its way too cold to ride it back through the Rockies. I figure I'll rent a vehicle within the next two weeks to bring it back home, and had originally planned to rent a truck. Gas for the 1000km trip won't be cheap with a big Ford or GM, so I clued into the fact that maybe a Caravan with the stow 'n go seating (seats fold into the floor) would accommodate an R6. Without it here, I can't take any measurements to see if it'll fit - does anyone know what cars that a rental place will have, that will hold a sportbike?
I've put an 03 R6 into a 01 Caravan. It took some tricky manouvering, a couple buddies and a ramp to get it into the van... but it did stay upright.

I think the newer Caravans with stow & go may have higher floors or smaller interior dimensions.

Good luck! :rockon

·
Not wearing pants.
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds like the bike will fit with some careful maneouvering and a mattress or two...but having the bike on its side for a 1000km trip kind of scares me...I'll probably end up with some rubbing on the fairings, and the liquids in the bike will probably try to escape. Since BowCycle has a special on Pilot Powers and free pickup and delivery (within Calgary) I'll probably have them pick up the bike, do the 7000km service, and get them to load it up into a rental truck when I make it there.

This brings me to my next question: who has a ramp I can borrow near UBC? ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
what will it cost for fuel and vehicle rental?
crating and shipping should be no more than $450 from a dealership in calgary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts