BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to park my bike for the winter and left it in a friends garage its been sitting there as I rode it there and left it for a few months. My question is will leaving it sit for the winter, 4-5 months do it any harm??? It hasnt been touched since I left it there and I am just wondering if this is ok....Anything else I should know or do ?

·
No the pic is not me
930 Posts
I had to park my bike for the winter and left it in a friends garage its been sitting there as I rode it there and left it for a few months. My question is will leaving it sit for the winter, 4-5 months do it any harm??? It hasnt been touched since I left it there and I am just wondering if this is ok....Anything else I should know or do ?
do a search for winterizing your bike, that should answer all the questions for you. Here is a few problems with your scenario... battery will be dead, fuel will have gone bad, and you could have some rust due to moisture.

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
Nothing to worry about, since your friend is riding the shit out of it, probably. :laughing

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
what snowshark said. depending on the year and fuel delivery system of the bike, you will be doing some spending when you retrieve it for riding season.

G

·
it's a write off. it sat unused way too long. someone will do you a favour and take it off your hands for $50.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
battery should have been charged about 2 months ago. it will be useless now. replace it. as for the gas.....it goes stale after a month or so. when it goes stale, it breaks down into what alot of people call varnish. this "varnish" sticks to moving parts and gums them up and will clog small passageways and make a mess of fuel systems. should have stored with a fuel stabilizer and a battery tender. you will know better. if your lucky, you can get away with just the new battery. otherwise its tear apart time to clean out the "varnish".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its only been a couple months sitting I had no idea. So what the battery will be no good? And what will adding fresh gas or carb cleaner not solve things when I go to start it?

·
myside.yourside.myside
2,095 Posts
when in doubt, I ask myself, if this bike was the female love of my life, how would I treat her? ...

ok so maybe that doesn't actually help you but it works for me :)

Cory

·
Insultant
2,115 Posts
And what will adding fresh gas or carb cleaner not solve things when I go to start it?
That's like using mouthwash without brushing your teeth and thinking it will do the job.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well looking for real answers here not insults alright I thought it would be fine to just let it sit for a couple months

So what then its going to have a dead useless battery useless fuel and its going to be garbage ?

G

·
yes, and yes.

your battery might take a charge, but sitting that long, who knows. if it was new, you might get lucky. if it was old, probably not.

if you didn't put fuel stabilizer in the tank, and top it right up, the tank will have stale gas and condensation in it. as others have mentioned, the gas will be breaking down by now, so it will smell like turpintine. best to drain the tank and start over. the fuel in the carbs/throttle bodies will be gummy by now too, so you will be doing some cleaning.

if the bike is older, you could stand a remote chance of ruining things like o rings in the carbs by letting them sit with gas.

your oil will by now be acidic too. it's important to change it with fresh oil, and a new filter.

it's already been mentioned to search for winterizing. here it is again: search this forum, and the new riders forum, for winterizing, and for maintenace tips. they are posted in sticky threads so we don't have to repeat them ad nausem. if you can't find them that way, search for maintenance posts in those forums by teetee. he's the keeper of the info and the resident fixer-guru.

you have the real answers. use them. the insult sling shot is now loaded.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
you may get lucky. as DOug pointed out you may charge the battery and it may hold for awhile. you may get away with filling the tank with new fuel and it'll run fine. you won't know till you try things out. you may want to go to the bike now, add stabilizer and some new fuel and charge the battery and start it now. if it runs like nothing was ever wrong, count yourself lucky and get a battery monitor and leave the tank of fuel with stabilizer in it and put it back to sleep again till its going to be ridden like the wind. oh and change the oil too when you start it up.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Cmon... the gas will sit longer than a MONTH!

Battery, yeah take it off and get a charger for it... Polar Battery will sell you a pretty good one pretty cheaply.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I will see if I can get in there and do that, top it up with fuel and put some fuel treatment in there

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Yeah its a 98 Honda VTR, so will need to charge battery and fill with gas?
My last bike was a 98 Honda VTR and I currently ride an '00 Honda VTR. In my experience, I've always had an oil-change done just before parking; filled the tank and added fuel stabilizer; re-charged the battery regularly (more because my alarm is always on). Some would call this 'the basics' but I also ride my bike several times through the off-season to keep the engine & tank clean ...and yes, I repeat the above each time after I've taken the bike out for a good blow-out.

If you haven't already done any of this, I'd suggest you: get a day permit; re-charge the battery as best you can on a trickle-charger ($9 at Crappy Tire); go get the oil changed, burn off (or empty) the present tank of gas, adding fuel additive/cleaner to the next tank of gas (and the go burn that off too - to clean away whatever gunk has formed in your carbs). Before you park it, fill the tank -to the top- with fresh gas and add fuel stabilizer to it ($9 at Crappy Tire). Then disconnect your battery and she's good til the spring. (I'll assume you'll check the tire pressure, lube the chain and have a good look at/around your bike before you leave the garage.)

If you can't afford all of this, minimally: replace the old gas [+ fuel stabilizer] and change the oil. Deal with the battery issue later, and assume you'll need a new one. I get a new one every year... because Honda's stater & regulator/rectifiers [ie: like a car's alternator & voltage regulator] are shite and don't like to be burdened.

As the owner of a VTR, you are the custodian of two big cylinders to keep clean with fresh oil. And, as VTRs are carbureted with shitty needles that are already prone to faster wear than other bikes, you've inherited the job of keeping them from gumming-up (in this case, from bad gas) which is what's happening right now.

In any event, you're courting expensive repair bills if you don't take care of this basic stuff. There's a huge difference between good & bad VTRs; don't cross over to the dark side where one problem leads to another and the VTR you knew is ....toast.

Note: don't bump-start your bike if the battery's dead. VTwin bikes don't like this - and it can actually do a lot of damage. If there's unspent fuel in the chamber, and it ignites, you may be watching a valve-cover blow-out.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Charles

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
Cmon... the gas will sit longer than a MONTH!

Battery, yeah take it off and get a charger for it... Polar Battery will sell you a pretty good one pretty cheaply.
yes gas will sit for longer then a month. however if you read.....its been substantially longer then a month. you may get lucky but don't hesitate. get on it now!!

·
Excommunicated
567 Posts
Note: don't bump-start your bike if the battery's dead. VTwin bikes don't like this - and it can actually do a lot of damage. If there's unspent fuel in the chamber, and it ignites, you may be watching a valve-cover blow-out.
Hee hee .... I remember that in Pemberton was it ?

Glad to see you pulled the old caddy out and met us up north anyway !

And I beg to differ on the battery situation with Honda's

a trickle charger will keep the battery conditioned for many years.

My CBR had the same battery for 2 years worth of parking and it is still in it today.

I will never forget the cloud of smoke engulfing you after starting your VTR in the parking lot .. That was Great !

1 - 20 of 35 Posts