BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Windshield, Upper Fairing, Seat Mods?

Well,

I gotta finish the Convertibars install on my VFR.
http://www.convertibars.com/index.cfm

This install is a bit fussy because it looks like I will have to route out the windshield edge / upper fairing to get back lock to lock clearances.

Any suggestions on a real nice way to route out the windshield edge / upper fairing to gain handlebar clearance on my ’04 VFR? After that, if I like the ergos I’ll get a better seat.

Is there a local guy who can mod out the seat pan and foam to go wider and flatter? If not, I guess a Sargent seat is my best bet. The stock seat has the boys kissing the tank and my butt sloped forward. The stock seat is also too hard, narrow and sloped in the front for long trips of a few days on up.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Damn those localized colloquialisms... I'll bet you feel like a real schmuck now for that... :D

Why not do the saddle foam yourself? Cut a horizontal slice in the first 4 to 5 inches of the nose of the foam and add a ski sloped long wedge of stiff foam to raise the front of the saddle and hep prevent sliding forward. At the same time at the end of this wedge flatten or even slightly scoop out the stock foam to form a hollow where your more delicate regions can rest.

The added material at the nose to lift that area will require new covering. The standard vinyl covering is available from any number of places. Other more fancy stuff can be had in some special spots. For example I know that Happy Ho out in Langley has the carbon weave stuff as well as the standard thin woven nylon looking stuff that Kawi normally uses.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Chumly said:
Good idea, I saw your work on your seat, very nice!
Thanks. I probably went a "little" overboard on that one. A big gain can be done for about a 1/10 of that much effort if you keep it toned down to the basics I mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dalma said:
Can you upload a photo showing how much interference your having with the windshield at full lock?
Sure I'd be glad to, might take a bit of time, also it only happens with the longer set of Convertibars. I have two sets. Even the shorter set the system stomps all over any other handlebar system that I am aware of except maybe this one super expensive machined billet European system (can’t remember the name).

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Just put down the router down and step away before you hurt something.....

Make up a little reproducable paper template of what you need to cut away or just add paper to where you're going to cut. Cut with a jigsaw or hand operated coping saw and then smooth with files or sandpapers.

Far safer than taking an angry router in hand...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TeeTee said:
Thanks. I probably went a "little" overboard on that one. A big gain can be done for about a 1/10 of that much effort if you keep it toned down to the basics I mentioned above.
I am like you when I get into something…..I have to be dragged away kicking and screaming that I still might be able to make it better.
TeeTee said:
Just put down the router down and step away before you hurt something.....

Make up a little reproducable paper template of what you need to cut away or just add paper to where you're going to cut. Cut with a jigsaw or hand operated coping saw and then smooth with files or sandpapers.

Far safer than taking an angry router in hand...
OK!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts