BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kelvin Fun Lee
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year on a bike and I wanted some advice on storing and maintenance for my '04 Honda CB599F3 (carborated engine) for the winter.

I have been told to drain the carbs and to keep the battery charged but what else can you recommend?

Also, I have to do an oil change soon but should I do it now before storage or at the beginning of the next season?

Thank You,

Kelvin

·
gix4life
152 Posts
Myself and other ppl are gonna tell you to use the search feature here cause this topic is done to death, but i'll tell you its a good idea to change oil before and after storge.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
New oil will not 'break down' during winter storage. Change it now and be done with it.

If you leave old oil in the bike, the acids might over time cause internal corrosion problems.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Change the oil BEFORE storing it.

·
n00b
704 Posts
Ok, so I have done the search a bunch of times and have been thoroughly reading this topic. I know that people say to change oil and filter before storage (put in crappy cheap oil) then change just the oil again after storage with good oil. Now my question is, if I change my oil and filter at the end of the season (for me) with good oil, can I not just continue to use that oil after storage in the next season? Will that honestly cause any damage?

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Ok, so I have done the search a bunch of times and have been thoroughly reading this topic. I know that people say to change oil and filter before storage (put in crappy cheap oil) then change just the oil again after storage with good oil. Now my question is, if I change my oil and filter at the end of the season (for me) with good oil, can I not just continue to use that oil after storage in the next season? Will that honestly cause any damage?
The New oil that you put in right before parking the bike for winter will be just fine for riding next season. Since it hasn't been ridden on (much, you may have to ride it a little between having it changed and putting it in storage) it hasn't got any garbage built up in it, so it won't hurt anything.

Again, search will answer this question, but here's the bible on winter storage tips:

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/winter-storage.html

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Correct, the NEW oil you put in before storage will be fine to start next season on.

·
n00b
704 Posts
The New oil that you put in right before parking the bike for winter will be just fine for riding next season. Since it hasn't been ridden on (much, you may have to ride it a little between having it changed and putting it in storage) it hasn't got any garbage built up in it, so it won't hurt anything.

Again, search will answer this question, but here's the bible on winter storage tips:

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/winter-storage.html
I have that page linked. Thanks :)
And thanks for the answer Spike. I just kept reading that you need to change oil once the bike comes out of storage, but based on what you are saying, an oil change and filter change with good full synthetic oil just before storage will be more than golden for next season :thumbup

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
^ I know in that past years this was common advice and I suppose if youre the type who likes to 'idle' your bike during the winter to 'keep it ready' for the odd ride then you probably DO want to use cheap oil in that case so that you can drain the junk OUT that has been added to the oil from the idling once the riding season picks up again.

But if youre like me who rides and parks it for 3 months unconditionally....then one change prior is all you need.

·
n00b
704 Posts
Nope, I wont be idling the bike over the winter. I will put it aside in about a month until April/May comes through and then will begin my riding season again. So all I will be doing is one oil and filter change (good oil, full synth) at the end of this season at time of storage, add some fuel stabalizer, trickle charge the bad boy, and the go to town with cleaning :p

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
alot of people change before parking but then they like to fire the bike up and hear it run. this causes the oil to heat up then when it cools in colder weather, it makes condensation. this mixes with oil and can form acids. this will intern cause some internal corrosion hence why some people change before parking then change before riding next season. change it before parking, don't start it up to hear it idle, then next season your golden to ride. also use Sta-Bil in the tank and don't worry about draining the carbs. put in the Sta-Bil and ride it a short distance to make sure its in the carbs and enjoy winter withdrawls. oh and put a battery tender on to keep the battery fresh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts