BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i have already taken out my battery an put that on a charger, now as far as fuel stabilizer go should i use it or can i just drain the tank next riding season. I really like to ride new season with nice fresh 94oct gas. If stabilizer must be used any brand recommendations ? thanks :)

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
how exactly do you plan on draining the tank!?? not possible on most sport-bikes due to fuel pump being
part of the tank itself... defeats purpose of fuel-stabil for that matter

technically you're supposed to pour some fuel-stabil onto fresh full tank of gas n' run the engine through
at least one heat cycle n' then put away till spring... but some just pour it into the tank and leave as is

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I neglect doing everything but this is my general winterization procedure:

oil change
full fuel tank (if it's steel)
drain carbs (if carbuerated)
air filter service
a little bit of oil in each cylinder
battery out and on a charging station
bike on stands and covered

I've never bothered with fuel stabilizer.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Just winterized mine few days ago:

Gave bike a good wash
Changed oil and filter
Cleaned and lubed chain
Filled up gas to the brim, put in seafoam and stabilizer. Yes it is redundant, but it will not hurt. Ran the bike for few min just to get seafoam and stabilizer mixed and through the system
Took battery out and put it on the battery tender
Put rag into the pipe so that something doesnt crawl in. Not really needed for me, since it is a condo garage, but doesnt hurt
Put bike on stands so that tires dont get flat spots. Again some will say not needed, but whatever.

Once all is done, leave bike until you plan to ride it again. Do not start it up for few min every several weeks. It's bad for the bike.

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
Just winterized mine few days ago:

Gave bike a good wash
Changed oil and filter
Cleaned and lubed chain
Filled up gas to the brim, put in seafoam and stabilizer. Yes it is redundant, but it will not hurt. Ran the bike for few min just to get seafoam and stabilizer mixed and through the system
Took battery out and put it on the battery tender
Put rag into the pipe so that something doesnt crawl in. Not really needed for me, since it is a condo garage, but doesnt hurt
Put bike on stands so that tires dont get flat spots. Again some will say not needed, but whatever.

Once all is done, leave bike until you plan to ride it again. Do not start it up for few min every several weeks. It's bad for the bike.
That's a thorough winterizing process. Same here, I would just add run the bike for 15 minutes to allow the fuel stabilizer to circulate through the whole fuel system, and cap it off with a bike cover to keep the dust off.

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
When you run a bench grinder, table saw, welder, milling machine, and metal lathe in the same garage as your bike, dust is a bitch.

·
TeaBagger
542 Posts
Winterizing my bike consisted of a rad flush and installing my heated grips haha.

There are going to be too many good days to ride all winter to warrant pulling the plates.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Get some fuel stabilizer from Canadian Tire, they're all pretty much the same.

HOWEVER, clean as much gas as you can out of the tank, and fill it with ethanol free gas for the winter. Gas with ethanol in it will break down over the course of a winter, and will suck moisture out of the air and put it into the tank. It leaves a hella mess in the injection system/pumps, etc. if left too long.

So, run the tank down, add the ethanol free gas and put in some fuel stabilizer. Run it for a while to purge the injectors of the old fuel and get the stabilized fuel in there. Then top the tank up to the very top to minimize the airspace, since the air will contain moisture and will rust the inside of your tank.

Then in the spring start it up and you're ready to go.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Remember to change the air in your tires too, that shit is nasty after a summer.

And the electrons in your electrical system will rot the wires out, so pull the battery and ground the bike so the electrons flow out.

I've stored my bike for up to a year a few times: oil change, stabilizer, battery tender, cover, done. My gas tank isn't rusted, pistons aren't seized, spiders didn't nest in my exhaust (or if they did I pity da fools). Carbs needed doing but after being stored for 362 days a year a few times in a row I figure that's a given regardless.

I think I put the wheels on some loose ceramic tiles because I heard concrete can dry out rubber eventually.

I get we want our bikes to last but mine's 20+ years old pushing 90,000km runs like a top. Not saying there's anything wrong with babying your ride but some of it's more than needed for a few months IMHO.

Or just ride through the winter, that worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Winterizing for a bike to sit for 4 months is way overkill
I haven't winterized a bike for 28 years since moving to this province.

Worried? Fill it with Shell 91 or Chevron 94. Then whenever it's warm and sunny on yours days
off, throw on a TOP and ride for the day.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Ah, sarcasm for a noob asking a valid question. Well done, well done :rolleyes

Yes, you can get away with not winterizing a bike for a few months. But it can become a HUGE problem if your few months turns into 6 months or more, sometimes life gets in the way, you get a chance to move somewhere for the summer, you hurt your leg and can't ride for a season, etc. and the few months turns into a year or more.

THEN you'll really wish you winterized it properly in the first place.

For the $5 in stabilizer and another $5 to buy better fuel to put in the tank it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Ah, sarcasm for a noob asking a valid question. Well done, well done :rolleyes

Yes, you can get away with not winterizing a bike for a few months. But it can become a HUGE problem if your few months turns into 6 months or more, sometimes life gets in the way, you get a chance to move somewhere for the summer, you hurt your leg and can't ride for a season, etc. and the few months turns into a year or more.

THEN you'll really wish you winterized it properly in the first place.

For the $5 in stabilizer and another $5 to buy better fuel to put in the tank it's a no-brainer.
Exactly my thought. For 2 hours of my time, thats how long it took to do everything I did, it is a no brainer. I would much rather spend those couple of hours to make sure I dont get days/weeks worth of headache when spring comes again. Not to mention all the possible costs associated with getting the bike working again.

To each their own though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts