BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to repair/work on fiberglass ? I would like to learn.....

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you show/teach me ? basically next time you are doing a project or something, give me a call will come over to give you a hand....

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
When my new Cosworth bumpers and wing get here from te UK and I mount 'em you can come scope it out mang.

B

·
0 Posts
my last job before heading into the wonderful world of computers was as a chop-gun operator for a company that made freightliner and kenworth body parts. I don't think I ever want to smell fiberglass again. but I know my way around a roller and some resin. if you need any help cos, just give me a shout.

D

·
0 Posts
i can rebuild olympic class sailboats with carbon fiber blindfolded. lots of fun running a vacuum bag system. if i find some space i still need to make molds of tons of things. just can't do it in my living room.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great stuff, so can learn fiberglass from cosworth & bender and carbon fiber from doug.....

doug you able to make small carbon fibre, fist sized kinda patches ? look for one to glue onto my race generator cover....

D

·
0 Posts
Human said:
great stuff, so can learn fiberglass from cosworth & bender and carbon fiber from doug.....

doug you able to make small carbon fibre, fist sized kinda patches ? look for one to glue onto my race generator cover....
carbon fiber and regular fiberglass work up the same way. the resin mix is a bit different, and generally you vacuum bag it for extra strength, but its otherwise just like plain fiberglass.

to patch your genny cover would be no problem, but the fiber grain may not look the same after. if its a simple plate, you can always fab up a whole new one.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know the first thing about this kind of stuff, how do I go about buying the raw materials ? do I need safety gear, I guess gloves would be a min.

D

·
0 Posts
Human said:
I don't know the first thing about this kind of stuff, how do I go about buying the raw materials ? do I need safety gear, I guess gloves would be a min.
best place to shop is a marine supply shop. you'll want some light weight cloths, resin with kicker, and maybe some microballoons for fun. you'll also want a small roller so that the air pockets can be squished. a good pair of scissors are a must. its so much easier cutting with scissors than it is with a knife.

gloves are smart. you'd need a proper ventilator for the fumes, or just work in an open space. acetone for cleanups. lots of plastic containers you can throw away, as well as drop sheets.

D

·
0 Posts
R1isfun said:
I just ordered my undertail but im gonna be cuttin it up to put other lights in anyone know how to bond abs plastics.
crazy_guy does plastic welding. you may wanna ask him.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Human, I'm gonna be making up a crash cover for my alternator cover very, very soon. It's not going to be fancy. Just gonna use some aluminium foil over the stock cover and then butter on a few layers of cloth followed by a wear pad built up from Kevlar cuttings laminated about 8 or 10 pieces thick.

I've got a NRC repacement cover for my bike so it can stand the shock of the first hit but I want to make up this wear cover to keep the aluminium from tearing up.

When I'm doing this I'll give you a call and you can come over and watch. You'll see the basics (and I do mean basics, nothin fancy here) of cutting the cloth so it fits, mixing and laying up the resin and molding the layers onto the form plus some sort of pressure outer cover. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do for that but I'm thinking about a vacumn bag just because it's easy for this application.

And while we're doing this you can get some ideas for whatever mods you need to do on your stuff.

I'd like to do this before the T&T this coming Monday but if not it'll be very soon after that.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Bruce, I guess I will see you tonight at the westwood meet, but would you mind if I paid you to get the materials you could get enough for 2 ?

I can then have one made for mine as well, I doubt the shape will be very different....

I plan on sticking on the "protective cup" with duct tape....also plan on using duct tape for the fairings and my right boot...:D:D:D

In the wise words of Dat (from action)...."most valuable thing at a track....DUCT TAPE !"....:D:D:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
No, but my brother did for a couple of years. Shawn Ashley, goofy kid, drove a silver Thunderbird SC. He was in sanding for a long while and then got transferred to gelcoat. And then got laid off, hah!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts