BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
same as on any other tire: when the wear markers show thru.

look on the edge of the sidewall. there will be small tabs or arrows around the tire. those point to the wear markers. if the wear markers are similar in height with the tread, it's time to change.

if you have no tread left, it's time to change. fast.
if you have cord showing thru, it's time to change. faster.

·
Kiss my a$$
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Doug, both tires show about 3mm left; found the arrows! They're 5 years old with 8000km on them. Hopefully get one more season, then I'll change 'em.

G

·
there will be people here saying don't bother. change em now.

3mm is not a lot of tread. 8000 km is near the limit. 5 years for a tire is probably beyond usable life. the compounds are no longer doing what they are supposed to do: stick.

·
100% Asshole
3,406 Posts
Use the wear bars for the centre of the tire not the ones near the edge more tread there and after 5 years you need new skins anyways prolly hard as rock........

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
when the d208 comes out and is then replaced by the d209
:laughing

I have to agree though, they haven't been selling D207's around here for years now. Rubber DOES get harder and less grippy with the passing of the seasons. If you ride at all sporty it's time to just let go of this old family member.

And FWIW I doubt I've ever let any of my MC tires get down to the wear bars. I found that the feel of the bike gets too crappy for my tastes long before that. I usually replace mine when the flat band in the center makes the bike handle funky beyound my tolerance. Stunters and commuters with higher tolerance levels profit through me with free tires ... :D

·
Kiss my a$$
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, I just bought my bike, 2001 R6, three months ago. The tires are original. Just getting used to the feel of the bike, by the time I start winding it up I'll definately get some rubber!

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I just bought my bike, 2001 R6, three months ago. The tires are original. Just getting used to the feel of the bike, by the time I start winding it up I'll definately get some rubber!
If they are that old I'd seriously suggest getting new rubber sooner rather than later. Sure the old skins will be fine for just puttering around to get the feel of the bike but being that old I'd have serious doubts about their ability to stick under even moderately heavy braking... like in an emergency when the guy in front stops short or the blue hair in the SUV pulls out in front of you.

New tires may well save you from one of those embarrassing low speed lowsides if you're using the brakes and turning at the same time on wet pavement.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i will speak from experience ... i bought a bike with old d207's and they had decent tread so i keep them ... i am cheap what can i say ... once i got new tires the next season cause they were done i was kicking myself for not doing it the season earlier, riding is all about confidence and those tires are all that is conecting you to the road, tires get old and dry... although if you are on a tight budget rock the 207's but if i was to do it again i would have got new tires right away... confidence is key

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
If funds allow, replace them for this coming season. PilotPowers FTW!

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
jesus, ppl go through a set or more a season! i dont understand when people let their tires go to shit, always on cars i see it, down to the wear bar, even steel then they get new ones. that totally affects all aspects of the cars characteristics. its the only thing between your vehicle and the ground, might as well maintain them like an oil change. same shit for the bike except a bad tire could mean a lot worse than a simple blowout on the highway. trying to squeeze another season outta them is not gonna benefit you in any way except keep the K's down on your already low K bike. man up and buy some new tread, you wont regret it

·
Kiss my a$$
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guess I better buckup in the spring for new tires. The Pilot Powers seem to be popular. Who carries them? Cost for pair? Rough cost for wheel removal, mounting and balancing, wheel replacement? :cheers

G

·
if you are too lazy to use the fishing line you've just been taught to use, does it mean i can garotte you with it instead?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts