BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've let my bike down several times and had anywhere up to $6-700 dammage at any given time. Well today's mishap might cost me a little more.

My helmet slipped out from under my arm and hit the concrete. It hit near the front top of the helmet (right on the SHOEI logo) and chipped a little of the enamel off.

Am I REALLY gonna need to buy another helmet or what? I don't wanna be cheap but these things are bloody pricey. I was just wondering if it was indeed true that you should replace it or if that was a little too severe. It fell from about 4FT.

Adam

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, now that is awsome!!!! I just got off the phone with SHOEI and they offer a free helmet inspection service. I just need to send it to them and include a letter explaining what happened and they'll inspect it for free and return it to me. They even pay for return shipping!!!!

Only down side is that it'll be about a 3 week turn around if I send it from here. I guess if I send it from Blaine it'll be substantially quicker.

Do all the companies do this?

·
User And Abuser
3,912 Posts
I believe Arai will do the same thing. I am glad your gonna have your helmet checked for good measure, as yer head is far to important to take risks with. I am pretty sure your lid will come back with the green light to use.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
if dropping your helmet 4ft is the difference between your lid shattering or staying in one piece in a crash you were probably going to die upon impact anyway. unless it's noticeably cracked or the foam inner is compressed/cracked it's prolly fine

my $.02c

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
in the old Action course, we were taught that most "normal" helmet drops are no big deal if there's not anything inside the helmet.

idea being that an object inside the helmet would impact the foam and partially compress it.

if the outer damage is essentially just paint chipping and the composite fibers are still in tact, it's fine.
(this is assuming it's a composite shell and not a thermoplastic, etc.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
How about this one...

I dropped my spare helmet from the back of my bike at 50kph... (bad bungee) and before I could turn around and pick it up, someone stole it! It wasn't even in the middle of the road, it was off to one side. I saw the whole thing as I was turning around at the next block. By the time I got back to where I dropped it, the guy was speeding off in the other direction. I couldn’t even turn around again for the chase because of the median.

Anyway, it saved me the decision of whether or not to keep using. I wonder if this guy is using it now.

G.

·
100%GOON
1,908 Posts
^ mother fuckers...

Hey Ace, I have a Suomy in L that you can borrow if worst comes to worst and you get stuck without one. You know where to reach me...not that I'll call you back though.:flip

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
This helps somewhat....

The important white "styrofoam" liner inside the helmet is painted black in many helmets. That way, if there are any cracks, it will be more visible through the black surface.

·
Dr Tung
558 Posts
ditto on Elevations comment... I chose to buy a 400 helmet rather than 1000. cuz I too dropped mine on the sidewalk 2 days after I brought it home...only a scuff on the paint...but hurts no matter what...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
what the hell are you doing dood....just stick to the scoot

·
Registered
841 Posts
My understanding is ICBC should cover your helmet replacement regardless of what happened. Of course you will need to pay your deductible which may be the same as a helmet anyways.

·
Ya, whatever.
669 Posts
The weight of your helmet without a head in it and a body behind that hitting the pavement from four feet is nothing the shell cannot handle.

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
Hah, what about, if you fell at 20-30 km, your helmet is slightly scuffed, from what looks like pebbles. And you are unsure if you actually hit your head, or just rocks hit it, then what? LOL!

·
Registered
402 Posts
elevation said:
This is exactly why I stick with $300-$400 helmuts. I won't feel bad if I drop it and I need to get a new one.
simple solution: just dont' drop your helmet :rockon

i treat my helmet as a baby, there's not chance of dropping it if u consider it as your own child, and if u do, think twice before having kids. butter fingers.:laughing

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Miguel said:
Hah, what about, if you fell at 20-30 km, your helmet is slightly scuffed, from what looks like pebbles. And you are unsure if you actually hit your head, or just rocks hit it, then what? LOL!
toss it and get a new one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts