BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WSB: Kawasaki and Rea again?

So, the good folks at Dorna have introduced rev limits and so on, to try to level the field a bit, which is a good thing if you enjoy close competition more than being impressed by how fast Johnnie Rea is. Three titles in a row - all well deserved, of course - but when you know who's gonna win two-thirds of the time, why tune in, eh? Especially when compared to the free-for-all that is Moto GP these days. But... best laid plans and all that... Mr Rae is faster and "feels better" on the new version of the ZX-10 during the Jerez test than on the 2017 version. 2018 might be a very long season for his competitors!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/world-superbikes/2017/november/wsb-rea-feels-better-with-2018-spec-bike/

·
track hack
1,993 Posts
#1. It's "Jonny" :)#2. It's Rea, not Rae. :)#3. Lowering the Kwak rev limit by 600rpm will do nothing (at the last test he was second overall, slower only than Dovi on the GP18 even though he was on a Q tire) but hopefully after he goes on a tear and wins more races next year they'll implement stage 2 restrictions and maaaaaybe then there might be some actual fighting at the front. SBK with The Northern Irishman stomping everyone with ease the past 3 years and now no Nicky (but with Gagne and Jacobsen next year at least if you wanna cheer for Yanks) has been painful to watch.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
^^^ my bad, for sure. the 'Rea' thing could even have been stumbling fingers. as for Jonny vs Johny vs Johnny vs Johnie vs Johnnie, actually I should not have been so casual: everything, everywhere, where he has an influence / control, he goes by "Jonathan". btw, it turns out his grandfather was named "John" and his dad was "Johnny"... not so much imagination in the naming game for sons in that family, it seems!

as for the WSB thing, yah, I dropped my renewal for streaming for 2018. just not enough excitement ( uncertainly / competition) for my money, I'm afraid...

p.s. I corrected the title...

·
How to ride
1,169 Posts
Dorna has a problem with a guy like Jonathan. The Race 2 Grid Reshuffle thing in 2017 (in theory) should have given the other competitors a better chance of winning but Jonathan Rea still finds a way to get to the front in just a few laps. He's just a great racer on a very good bike with great support who will somehow find a way to win.

Illustration: That race in Misano was not so interesting until the last lap, until Jonathan hit a fallen Davies who crashed him out. Then he remounted and got his bike up and across the line for a third place finish with a missing foot peg. Unbelievable.

Reducing the revs by 600 hasn't slowed him a bit, but will only add to engine reliability. I don't know what else Dorna can do to keep Rea from totally dominating the series again.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
I dropped my subscription as well. As it was, I was barely keeping up with MotoGP--never mind Moto 2 and 3. I'd forgotten how expensive the MotoGP subscription is until it showed on my CC statement!

^^^ my bad, for sure. the 'Rea' thing could even have been stumbling fingers. as for Jonny vs Johny vs Johnny vs Johnie vs Johnnie, actually I should not have been so casual: everything, everywhere, where he has an influence / control, he goes by "Jonathan". btw, it turns out his grandfather was named "John" and his dad was "Johnny"... not so much imagination in the naming game for sons in that family, it seems!

as for the WSB thing, yah, I dropped my renewal for streaming for 2018. just not enough excitement ( uncertainly / competition) for my money, I'm afraid...

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'd forgotten how expensive the MotoGP subscription is until it showed on my CC statement!
expensive? well, given the amount of entertainment provided, I'd disagree. profoundly! probably works out to about a buck an hour, over the year... and waaaay more entertaining than any movie I've seen in the past year...

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
expensive? well, given the amount of entertainment provided, I'd disagree. profoundly! probably works out to about a buck an hour, over the year... and waaaay more entertaining than any movie I've seen in the past year...

Yeah, I just didn't get the chance to amortize the cost over more viewing hours. *

·
Registered
300 Posts
Kawasaki/Rea's domination is well deserved because Kawi is spending all their $$ in WSBK instead of MotoGP. That being said, even though I'm a Kawi fan, my enthusiasm is waning after the same stuff over and over again. Give it one more year of the same until the Ducati V4 starts up in 2019. Regardless, 2018 should be more interesting now that the CBR has a year under its belt and it'll get even better for 2019 after Leon Camier has a chance to develop the bike more (RIP Nicky! He would've done the same for 2018). Also looking forward to further improvements from Yamaha since they've had a chance to develop the bike a bit more.

All in all, I think 2018 will be a better watch than 2017 was.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
“We couldn’t run the same engine spec as we have been as our bike made power right at the top of the RPM and we’re not using that now, so we have had to move the torque range down a bit which suits me better. It’s a positive step and something I have been asking for in the last year - a more endurance style engine so it’s a step forward.” / Rea.

well said

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well as an irish blooded kawi rider I don't mind but...yeah... Wsbk is my favorite series but that's because I just cant relate as well to a bunch of Europeans on (non)production bikes like I can to the wsbk riders and machines. Motogp certainly is the more interesting series to watch right now for racing.

I don't see that changing anytime soon, although it was nice to see a yamaha in the top three and a gsxr on the track at end of season.

Too bad Aprilia and BMW doesn't sponsor (factory) teams anymore, that made wsbk much more interesting.

·
track hack
1,993 Posts
Well as an irish blooded kawi rider I don't mind but...yeah... Wsbk is my favorite series but that's because I just cant relate as well to a bunch of Europeans on production bikes like I can to the wsbk riders and machines. Motogp certainly is the more interesting series to watch right now for racing.

I don't see that changing anytime soon, although it was nice to see a yamaha in the top three and a gsxr on the track at end of season.

Too bad Aprilia and BMW doesn't sponsor teams anymore, that made wsbk much more interesting.
"Europeans on production bikes" is not a phrase I've ever heard of to describe GP racing, mostly since every item has to be prototype aka non-production.

Aprilia and BMW absolutely do sponsor teams in SBK - they just don't have full Factory backed teams any longer.

:coffee

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
SBK with The Northern Irishman stomping everyone with ease the past 3 years and now no Nicky (but with Gagne and Jacobsen next year at least if you wanna cheer for Yanks) has been painful to watch.
I don't follow SBK too much however I had the opportunity to meet Gagne when he was helping to coach at American Supercamp. Really classy guy, humble, driven, and fast as fuck. Hope he does well, was stoked to see him get the factory Honda ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts