BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
I never understand the purpose of can am spyder and now this.....................
I get the purpose and target of the CanAm, they appear to do a decent job......this thing does not
fall into that category in any way, which is why I question the point. Hopefully just some concept
item to show innovation, and not actually for production. The Piaggio MP3 was almost 10 years ago.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I get the purpose and target of the CanAm, they appear to do a decent job......this thing does not
fall into that category in any way, which is why I question the point. Hopefully just some concept
item to show innovation, and not actually for production. The Piaggio MP3 was almost 10 years ago.
I look at the CanAm and ask what's the point, you have all the drawbacks of motorcycling with none of the fun (i.e. lean angle). But this, I would put in front of my dad. He's of an age where he's not quite as confident in himself as he used to be and hesitant to re-enter riding, so this adds a bit of stability back into the equation.

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
Yup, I do most of my riding in a darkened room weaving between lighted pylons - geez!
Put Rossi on it and let's see it on a track.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I can't stand those three wheel abortions, especially spiders. Didn't a member, here, buy one of those Piaggos way back?

I know an old couple who moved from a cruiser to a spider. They were getting pretty shaky on the cruiser so I guess the spider was a good thing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
"............The three-cylinder 850 cm3 MWT-9 concept is described as a "cornering master" ................ Cornering master??????

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"............The three-cylinder 850 cm3 MWT-9 concept is described as a "cornering master" ................ Cornering master??????
Ya wouldn't you be pissed if you just bought new XR and this thing comes along and smokes you on the Duffey..........this thing is not focused on the Spyder crowd if it cant outperform a conventional motorcycle it will be a flop........

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
I love it. There's all kinds of tilter configurations that work (or kinda work). There's even nomenclature - 2F3T, etc.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilting_three-wheeler
These things have obvious advantages when traction runs out. No reason they can't be just as quick or quicker than sport bikes.
I like that they steer like motorcycles instead of snowmobiles a la the spyder.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I like that they steer like motorcycles instead of snowmobiles a la the spyder.
There will be a limitation on this, there can be only so much lean angle with two wheels up front. What happens when the corner exceeds this? I guess you crash.

Maybe it's fine, or maybe it's like riding a Harley, when you get to that maximum lean angle, it just doesn't go any further.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
Sounds like it would be a good commuter bike, in the rain.

These Piaggios are actually quite popular, so I could understand a market that would want a more powerful version of that:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There will be a limitation on this, there can be only so much lean angle with two wheels up front. What happens when the corner exceeds this? I guess you crash.

Maybe it's fine, or maybe it's like riding a Harley, when you get to that maximum lean angle, it just doesn't go any further.
I know nothing about Piaggios but some people on other forums are claiming that once you learn to ride them they out corner conventional motorcycles....I will take that with a grain of forum salt for sure but Yamaha is claiming maximum lean angle with the forks only on the outside......?If this thing goes into production the first review will be interesting

1 - 20 of 96 Posts