BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
There will be a limitation on this, there can be only so much lean angle with two wheels up front. What happens when the corner exceeds this? I guess you crash.

Maybe it's fine, or maybe it's like riding a Harley, when you get to that maximum lean angle, it just doesn't go any further.
In theory, theres almost no limit to lean angle on these. In practice you just limit it to the edge of the tire. There's no traction after that anyway. When I say they steer like a motorcye one of the things I mean is that just like a motorcycle a given lean angle will describe a different arc depending on speed. If you find yourself overcooking a corner at max lean you just slow down - something easier said than done on a two wheeler.
You could still lock the fronts and under steer right off the road. You could also theoretically high side the thing. The only thing you really couldn't do is tuck the front. So lots of ways to crash still. Although I imagine a stability control implementation to eliminate some of the risks would be relatively easy on one of these compared to a two wheeler.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
I know nothing about Piaggios but some people on other forums are claiming that once you learn to ride them they out corner conventional motorcycles....I will take that with a grain of forum salt for sure but Yamaha is claiming maximum lean angle with the forks only on the outside......?If this thing goes into production the first review will be interesting
I think one of the limiting factors on lean angle with these things is the bunching of components between the front wheels as it leans over, hence forks on the outside.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
^great pic. I stand corrected. You could tuck the front on one. Looks like it would take some doing though.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I've ridden the mp3 which my friend owns. The fact you don't need to shift, cornering and riding marine drive was a breeze.
The only issue is this, what demographics are you trying to hit?

Can-Am = ride with your wife to interior for a good rip.
MP3 = more comfy day to day. I mean, if you want to go for a picnic, it's perfect. Take your gf for a 1 hr ride, mp3 is the way to go.
this one... Full rider will always get a 2 wheel, this is too much of a hybrid and doesn't hit any niche market.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
And at that point, what benefit does it have when the outside wheel is off the ground, it's limited to 2 wheels again.
yep, but i'm guessing it's a much more forgiving situation than a can am with the inside wheel off the ground.

check out yamaha's tilting 4 wheeler testbed they just released video of
http://www.gizmag.com/yamaha-or2t-prototype/40229/

the niche question is a good point. maybe the tilter just kills the can am. all the stability and confidence with none of the weird handling.

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
yep, but i'm guessing it's a much more forgiving situation than a can am with the inside wheel off the ground.

check out yamaha's tilting 4 wheeler testbed they just released video of
http://www.gizmag.com/yamaha-or2t-prototype/40229/

the niche question is a good point. maybe the tilter just kills the can am. all the stability and confidence with none of the weird handling.
My feeling is the 3 wheeler is just a unique motorcycle, and the CanAm is a ski-doo on wheels.

One offers a different take on a bike, and the other simply gets you in the open air, with very little motorcycle properties/fundamentals.

That's not to say one is better or worse, and frankly, the CanAm is the one that probably attracts the new customers, the 3 wheeler is
less of a departure and is probably more attractive to riders who had traditional roots.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
And at that point, what benefit does it have when the outside wheel is off the ground, it's limited to 2 wheels again.
At that point you go back to the drawing board and come up with a diffrent front end......
and...wouldn't each front wheel have to be at different lean angles because they are at different radius in a corner?

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
and...wouldn't each front wheel have to be at different lean angles because they are at different radius in a corner?
Very interesting question. Like Ackerman steering for tilting.
I can't find a clear answer in what little searching I did.
If you did this via simple linkage lengths, you would have a positive camber in the vehicle upright position where you would have to take the outside wheel through vertical on turn in. That would be clearly a bad thing I think. Obviously you could devise a camming linkage or actuator to better control differential lean of the fronts. My gut says that the free lean balances the handlebar torque / centres the steering effort and that the outside wheel just turns a little faster with no scrubbing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Who exactly is the target audience for this? Its not a safe tourer like the can am, nor is it cheap and accessible like a little piaggo. Anyone wanting a sporty ~900cc is going to want 2 wheels, not 3. Not saying there isn't a single buyer out there, but mass market? GL.

·
Registered Luser
2,115 Posts
Awesome. Very interested to see what kind of active safety systems they can incorporate into these things. I predict these and other TTWs killing the can am.

Now just stuff an R1 motor in there...

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I gotta visit my optometrist - I'm seeing double!

21 - 40 of 96 Posts