BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yamaha safety recalls

October 16 2006

Yamaha has issued a press release announcing safety recalls for models including the XV1600 Wild Star, R1, FZ6, FJR1300, TDM900, MT-01, XV1700 and XT660R/X.

The release is reproduced in full below, and all owners of affected machines will be contacted by Yamaha to advise them of the steps needed to rectify their machines.

"As part of Yamaha’s policy of constantly monitoring the quality and performance of its products, the factory has instigated 2 Product Safety Recalls.

The first of these Safety Recalls has identified a potential defect in the gearbox of certain XV1600 Wild Star models. In extreme cases, this defect could result in the transmission locking with possible loss of control by the rider. As our Customers’ safety is of paramount importance, riders are advised to stop using their machines until they have been modified by an Authorised Yamaha Dealer.

XV1600 owners on our database will receive a letter very soon advising them of the steps to take to have their machines rectified.

The second Safety Recall concerns the Throttle Position Sensor fitted to certain YZF-R1, FZ6N/S, FJR1300/A, TDM900/A, MT-01, XV1700PC & XT660R/X manufactured between 2002 and 2005. In a small number of cases, the idle speed may become intermittently unstable, causing the engine to stall.

In the same way as the XV1600 Safety Recall, owners of the affected machines, held on our database, will receive a letter very soon advising them of the steps to take to have their machines rectified. They can continue to use their motorcycles in the meantime.

On behalf of the Yamaha Factory and Yamaha Motor UK, we would like to apologise to all affected customers for this inconvenience and assure them of our best attention to rectify the problems at the earliest possible time."

- - - - -

Is there a Yamaha dealer, sales rep or mechanic that can confirm this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thank you.

I have a 2003 R6 with a throttle position sensor problem.
Happened 5 times this season. (Idle cut out, luckily while not in a corner)

I know the R6 is not listed but there is a long list of R6 owners on www.r6messagenet.com who are having the same problem and Yamaha is not admitting that this model is affected.
Previous letters from yamaha state only the 2004 R6 and R1 had trouble.
This is more ammunition.

Is there any one else having this trouble?

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have to make sure the recall is **active** in Canada. I grabbed this from another moto forum, not directly from Yamaha.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you.

I know the R6 is not listed but there is a long list of R6 owners on www.r6messagenet.com who are having the same problem and Yamaha is not admitting that this model is affected.
Previous letters from yamaha state only the 2004 R6 and R1 had trouble.
This is more ammunition.

Is there any one else having this trouble?
My 04 r1 has had that problem all year long.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have a copy of the technical bulletin M2006-011 dated 7/26/06 from Yamaha dealing with the TPS problem on the R1 and FZ6 (although I have not experienced the problem).

The models covered by this recall are the following:
2004 YZF-R1S/SC all
2004 FZS600S/SC all
2005 YZF-R1T RN13E-0007911-0012965
2005 YZF-R1TC RN13Y-0001423-003392
2005 FZS600T RJ08E-0002249-0004781
2005 FZS600TC RJ08Y-0000303-0000702

The replacement part has a dealer cost of $70.99 and the labour to change it 1.2 hours. The recall covers all models listed, irrespective of warranty status or ownership.

There is no mention of R6 problems.

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts

just off topic for a second: when you say cut out do you mean complete shut off or just something similar to as if you rolled off the throttle?

·
Registered
219 Posts
just off topic for a second: when you say cut out do you mean complete shut off or just something similar to as if you rolled off the throttle?
It is asif the bike changes the idling screw adjustment by itself.
example.
The bike is running and idling as normal.
The Bike then cuts out (so far, this happens minutes after starting up)
You then re-start the bike, but you have to keep the revs high else it will drop to zero and cut out.
You have to adjust the idling screw to bring the idle revs back up.
I bought my bike at 12,000km's and it started happening around 16,000-18,000 km's

The recall is active in Canada, I have spoken to one 04 owner who have had it replaced already
Problem is that it is happening to owners outside of Yamaha's official VIN and year range.

here's that link I spoke of earlier:
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30990&highlight=tps
Some riders appear to have solved the problem by "cleaning" the TPS

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is asif the bike changes the idling screw adjustment by itself.
example.
The bike is running and idling as normal.
The Bike then cuts out (so far, this happens minutes after starting up)
You start the bike, but you have to keep the revs high else it will drop to zero and cut out.
You have to adjust the idling screw to bring the idle revs back up.
I bought my bike at 12,000km's and it started happening around 16,000-18,000 km's

The recall is active in Canada, I have spoken to one 04 owner who have had it replaced already
Problem is that it is happening to owners outside of Yamaha's official VIN and year range.
My bike will do it while i'm riding as soon as i pull the clutch in.
If you turn the key to off position and then on again before you restart the bike the problem goes away. Wierd

·
Registered
219 Posts
My bike will do it while i'm riding as soon as i pull the clutch in.
If you turn the key to off position and then on again before you restart the bike the problem goes away. Wierd
I'll give that a shot next time it happens.
I'm gonna call the dealer I the bike from and try get them to fix this "fault"
but I'm sure they will fight me and I'll have to eat the cost of replacing the TPS.

usually happens within 10 minutes of riding, sometimes right after warmup. the rest of the ride is fine.
If I touch the throttle (one rev) the idling disappears, revs drop to zero and it cuts out.
whether the clutch is in ( and in gear) or out (in neutral) makes no difference.

[Me thinks this thread should move to tech and mods section.]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll give that a shot next time it happens.
I'm gonna call the dealer I the bike from and try get them to fix this "fault"
but I'm sure they will fight me and I'll have to eat the cost of replacing the TPS.

usually happens within 10 minutes of riding, sometimes right after warmup. the rest of the ride is fine.
If I touch the throttle (one rev) the idling disappears, revs drop to zero and it cuts out.
whether the clutch is in ( and in gear) or out (in neutral) makes no difference.

[Me thinks this thread should move to tech and mods section.]
northshore suzuki yamaha knows about the recall and will be recieving parts to fix the problem some time next week no charge

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
haha the good ol' YZF600R didnt make the shit list. Woot.

token bike banter for the week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts