BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Same question's as usual.. sorry if it's a repost. I looked around and there is information out there but it all seems dated and I'm not sure if the rules have changed.

1. Can a Yamaha WR450 be made street legal in BC?
2. Where can I find out what needs to be done to be made street legal?
3. If a bike is street legal in Alberta, is it legal in BC?

Thanks!

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
You can't convert bikes anymore. Has to be already plated or street legal from the factory.
If its plated in Alberta, you *should* be able to insure it, since inspections aren't required for out of province bikes. But I wouldn't count on that ...

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
1. Can a Yamaha WR450 be made street legal in BC? No but Yes???? You cant take a "R.U.M." bike anymore and get it plated, but you can take make a bike from parts as a "u Built" and go through the inspection process.
2. Where can I find out what needs to be done to be made street legal? It is on the internet?? I cant find the link at this moment but its under provincial regulations I think?
3. If a bike is street legal in Alberta, is it legal in BC? It might be? but it will be subject to an incoming inspection through ICBC.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Seriously? Is that all it takes to make a bike a u-built?
officially the value of the 'original' components needs to be less than 50% of the value of the bike.

So if you took a WR frame and suspension, motor from another bike, then put sumo wheels and brakes on it, you'd be in the ballpark (it would also need all the required safety components). Although I dont know how it works with RUV vehicles, since it's illegal to remove the vin, but that vin cant be licensed.

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses.

When did the law change that you can't covert bikes anymore?

Is the Husqvarna still road legal, or did that change to? Maybe a better question is, what sumo is legal then?

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
I believe it was 2009 that they brought in the laws. Bikes that are already plated, stay that way. The rest have to be street-legal from the factory.

Now, for supermotos, there's not a lot out there. Husqvarna makes a 450/510/511, Husaberg has the FS570, Yammy has a 250 as does Kawasaki, the Aprilia 550, and, of course, the ubiquitous DRZ400. KTM has a bunch of factory sumos, but they're hard to find up here (aka the 690). Same with the BMW.
Best bet is to find a street-legal enduro and throw some 17s and new brakes on there. That opens your world way up. 450s all over the place, as well as some 650s. Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Husaberg (RIP!), Husqvarna ... the whole shebang. Plenty of online stores have the "conversion kits" which include rims, brakes and tires.

I'd be partial to a KTM 690 myself, but you really can't go wrong with the dark side... lol

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm definitely willing to purchase a conversion kit. I thought the WR450F was a street-legal enduro? I'm confused there...

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
If there have been factory street-legal WR450s in BC in the last several years, they're rarer than unicorns that can do algebra and quote shakespeare.
If you're set on the WR, you'd likely have to buy a converted bike from Alberta. Depending on what the title says, you *might* be able to squeak it through, as motorcycles are exempt from out-of-province inspections. Or buy an older, grandfathered WR in BC. (There are a few kicking around)

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not set on a WR, just thought that was an example of a street legal enduro... it has head light, tail light etc. I was under the assumption that you could take those types of bikes and with the addition of a "kit" (kill switch, 17's, etc), then get the bike legalized with an inspection.

So, overall it seems like I can not take any bike and convert it anymore, regardless of a conversion kit or not. It has to be street legal from factory (whatever that means). Confused why T-rex said this then "Best bet is to find a street-legal enduro and throw some 17s and new brakes on there."... since I know of no street-legal enduro's.

Seems like these are the only options? "Husqvarna makes a 450/510/511, Husaberg has the FS570, Yammy has a 250 as does Kawasaki, the Aprilia 550, and, of course, the ubiquitous DRZ400". Although, looking at the Husqvarna website, it seems like no more sumo's for Canada. KTM doesn't list any as well. The Aprillia and Husa sound like reliability problems waiting to happen... and I don't want a 250.

Anyways.. sucks if this is the state of Sumo's in BC.

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
What's confusing? The drz-e/s, kim 690, husaberg fe450/500, husky te450/511, Honda xr650 .... I could go on here. They're all enduros. Very few street legal SUMOs. Lots of enduros, minus the wr450....

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
A supermoto is usually a closed course competition bike made by putting smaller sport tires and bigger discs on a dirt bike.

Some manufactures made turnkey supermoto racebikes. Some manufacturers went a step further and made street legal supers. Those are rare.

Taking an already street legal enduro bike and swapping out the wheels is the easy route.

Taking an off road bike and getting it on the street is the very very hard way to do this.

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's confusing? The drz-e/s, kim 690, husaberg fe450/500, husky te450/511, Honda xr650 .... I could go on here. They're all enduros. Very few street legal SUMOs. Lots of enduros, minus the wr450....
It's just on my end T-rex... PEBCAK. Appreciate the info.

·
It was worth the wait
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
my Husa has been a maintenance nightmare. 11000km and 7 oil changes and one valve check. lol
Wow man, thats awesome. From what I read, some people don't think they are reliable machines for everyday driving (to / from work).

Sounds like you would disagree with that. Where did you end up getting your Husa?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Wow man, thats awesome. From what I read, some people don't think they are reliable machines for everyday driving (to / from work).

Sounds like you would disagree with that. Where did you end up getting your Husa?
the reality is that people who voice their opinion, and people who have the info to back it up are generally two completely separate groups. :)

Mine is from International.

there is the possibility that mine will be going up for sale (love it, just cant afford two bikes). If you're interested, send me a PM (its not DRZ pricing though. lol)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I went though this in alberta on my yamaha 450. Big hassle and I may or may not have had some horseshoes up my ass ;)

Here's the results

1 - 20 of 26 Posts