BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at going to school in langley come fall, and im trying to cut my expenses. ill have some friends with cars for groceries, but how realilistic is it to have a bike as primary transportation year round down there? i know people do it, what kind of things are needed for it? is it cheaper or am i kidding myself?

thanks!

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Personally, I would find it too much of a pain in the ass to use a motorcycle as a year-round primary vehicle. If I were in your shoes, I'd just buy some reliable beater.

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
it'd be cheaper only if you get a standard bike that cost about 1500-2000 and runs decently because insurance can get really expensive. Some people get 400 cc bikes too because of the insurance, if you're thinking a new R1 or something like that, it'll cost more than a car

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll need a good backpack and some heated grips and vest.. but in my experience car insurance is cheaper than bike, so the only way you'll save money is gas, but you do so much pleasure riding that it equals out. The only thing I really hate about only having the bike insured is getting groceries, but like you said you can use a friends car.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking 600... something like an mid 90's CBR or YZF... but it looks like ill be looking for an older GTi.

·
I make grown adults cry!
344 Posts
I'd say that a bike is only an option if there is effective transit as a back-up plan. Langley has horrible transit, by the way.

You'd probably also want an older standard that can handle being dropped without shrieks of horror.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Skateboard and a bus pass. All you need.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I say go for it, if your commute isn't too long and transit is a reliable backup. Just make sure you have good waterproof gear.

I wouldn't buy a 600 though, too much $$ for the insurance and you don't get to enjoy it much. The best bike for winter, IMO, is something old and slow that you don't really care about. That way you can get cheap insurance.

I rode an old 250 last winter (insurance $35/month), and I know I wasn't the only person crazy enough to be out there. The only time it really starts to suck is when the water starts getting in your helmet, your gloves or your boots. I found I was good for about an hour, then I started getting wet.

I think somebody already said it, but get a good backpack with a waterproof shell.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
get thos moped 49cc, save tones of money and a lot of people in my college ride it year round.

·
Ya, whatever.
669 Posts
I have a bike insured year round but am no ttotally hardcore and only use 50% now. I have a big bore but in the rain it is a bit if a drag always carefully rolling it on and a lot of weight to brake. I have done a few hardcore winters on the XR650 adn an old xr 250 before that. Both were way better for not worrying and the xr250 was super cheap. Waterproof gear and packing a computer is a challenge but not insurmountable. there are not too many snow shutdown days out here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
888 said:
You mean this.
YA those arnt bad. I mean the guy says he wants to save money? I dont think a bike is the right choice. I mean gear alone is gona cost you like 1k if you get it cheap. And people dont know how to drive here, atleast in Richmond its insane, and when the rain hit, thats another problem cause people dont seem to see lane dividers.

Edit: i would never ride one, but im also an idiot, what do i know?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
One of our local guys CG did this for a few years. His Space Ranger rain and cold suit became a bit of a fixture for a while. I'm not sure if he's still doing it or not.

Frankly if you don't need to do much highway riding then I'd say a dual sport is a better option. The upright position and wide bars makes for easier times on slippery roads. And the dual sports are made to be dropped with minimal damage. Insurance on an older one is also dirt cheap.

And did I mention that they are a ball to ride? My old DR350 is a blast. I even found myself trying to flat track it around a few corners in the rain when there was no traffic around.

But you need a decently long inseam to ride the darn things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts