BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a Suomy lid. Bought one for my girl and the quality didnt seem up to the level of my Shoei. The visor hinge mechanism was weak and the side covers popped off after the clips broke ........BK replaced them alright, but she has to be gentle with flipping the visor up. Anyone have an opinion?

C

·
0 Posts
suomy helmets

I bought a Suomy from BK, I had a Arai Signet Gt before, the arai is definatley a better helmet, but I like the suomy now after everything is broken in. I have had no problems with the hinge's on the helmet, the only thing i don't like is that you can;t get a chin deflector for it

B

·
0 Posts
i have one and really like it...i havent had any problems with the visor, but i go easy on it just in case:thumbup

P

·
0 Posts
Love my Suomy

I have a Gunwind Replica, I love that helmet. The next helmet I get is going to be the new one they have coming out, the Spec R1. I've never had any problems with it and I switch visors on it at least twice a week (school, drive home after dark).

·
Track Day Wh0re
505 Posts
the ben bostrom replica looks phat but the fit and finish aren't up to par with arai or shoei.

they're priced pretty well so i guess you cant really complain.

like most things in life, you get what you pay for...

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
I really like mine...I've got the Bostrom Laguna Seca replica. It's not as comfortable as my Shoei, but it does fit more snug, which is good. I like my helmets TIGHT. And it's also very light...which is very nice on longer trips because your neck doesn't get tired. Switching visors is sort of a pain at first, but after doing it a few times, it becomes very easy....takes me maybe 20sec to do it now, whereas it used to take up to a couple minutes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i've been looking at purchasing a Suomy Gunwind from BK too and was only concerened with one important thing.

i've heard that not all the Gunwinds are SNELL M2000 rated.
i checked on the official Snell list and the only Suomy helmet on there was the new Spec R1....
after emailing Snell to check if the list just wasnt updated, they replied to me saying that Suomy did submit a helmet named Gunwind to be tested. it passed the Snell tests, however the american distributors for Suomy were selling a helmet called Gunwind as well that was using an older shell that was NOT submitted for tests. therefore to prevent confusion, Snell decided to just not issue the Snell rating for ANY Suomy Gunwind helmet.
my concern is if i buy one, there is no way of making sure the shell is a newer M2000 rated shell or an older one....
a cause for concern :(

btw, to the guys that have Gunwinds here, how much did u end up paying for yours at BK?

C

·
0 Posts
suomy helmets

i have a Bostrom Replica, I paid 600.00 including taxes and a mirrored visor

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Even the ones that do not meet Snell ratings, should still be safe enough for your head. Well, they are for me. :D They are approved by the "British Standards somethingorother" (it has a sticker on the back). I think that's like a European safety standard or something. If all those racers can wear them, it's probably good enough for me. Oh wait...what if they're wearing the newer lids??? Now I'm concerned! :mad

You can get the Suomy lids for cheaper, if you get a recalled one. Don't worry, it's not what you think! The paint on some one them (particularly the Bostrom Laguna Seca) started to crack. I noticed it on mine, took it back to BK to get it checked out. I wanted to make sure it was nothing structural...it wasn't. Just a small little crack in the paint maybe 3-4mm long, hardly noticable. They said they would either replace it, or give me $100 back, because the ones with this problem were going to be sold at a $100 discount. I took the $100.

So in the end I only paid $419 for my helmet. :thumbup

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: suomy helmets

canrc2000 said:
i have a Bostrom Replica, I paid 600.00 including taxes and a mirrored visor
canrc2000- thats a pretty sweet deal u got. didja get the hookups from Trevor?
n they threw in an iridium shield too?

harps: i guess the BSI standards are pretty good too, but i dont know if they are as thorough and meticulous in testing helmets as Snell international standards. i think i'll end up going with my gut n probably buy it cuz like u said, if the pros wear it, its gotta good! :D
btw, u got one helluva deal at $419....
its way more expensive on the net even when its suppose to be cheaper buying online.

anyone else willing to throw in their .02 on the Gunwinds??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts