BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
zx7r
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I'm upgrading from an 83 xs400 yamaha to a 2000 zx7r.
I have about a year and a half of wringing the shit out of the 400, and i decided it was time to upgrade because it lacked the power for extended highway riding, which i do a lot of, and because i wanted something that felt like it could pull my arms off again.
If anyone has any advice, anything to look out for, things to expect, that they want to point out, then i'd really appreciate it.
Other than the obvious things, because i am aware it's at least 100 lbs heavier with about triple the horsepower. :)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
look everything over. get down on your knees. make sure the guy knows how to put in the right amount of oil. all of those little things! take a tire gauge with you. if the tires are low on air than you know the guy didn't maintain it.

·
zx7r
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the guy, and i know he's done proper upkeep.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
125cbr rider said:
if the tires are low on air than you know the guy didn't maintain it.
or maybe it's been sitting for a month?

I had two 7R's loved em. There's nothing really in particular you need to look for, just the usual on a used bike. crash damage, fork seals, condition chain, sprockets, tires, head bearings.. valve noise, etc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Why don't you just go for 10R or some like 1kcc bike?I got CB-1 for my first bike for 2 month then I jump to CBR954, well it does took me while to fit the 954 but really not that hard.

·
zx7r
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
because i don't want a literbike.
i'm afraid i'd go mad with power.
:evilgrin

·
Car Magnet.
275 Posts
It's not a huge jump, I got off my Ninja 250/F4i not even 5 months ago, and now I'm cruising around on an 09 ZX6-R, which I've had for 2 weeks or so. (If I do say so myself, my chicken strips, or lack there of, is impressive.EDITL For the amount of time I've been on the street, also, don't put people in danger to get them down.)
My only advice, as generic as it sounds, is learn as much as you can, keep your head on straight, and watch/read the hell out of "Twist of the Wrist II."

Also, when your gut says no. Don't do it.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It's not a huge jump, I got off my Ninja 250/F4i not even 5 months ago, and now I'm cruising around on an 09 ZX6-R, which I've had for 2 weeks or so. (If I do say so myself, my chicken strips, or lack there of, is impressive.)
My only advice, as generic as it sounds, is learn as much as you can, keep your head on straight, and watch/read the hell out of "Twist of the Wrist II."

Also, when your gut says no. Don't do it.
No offense dude, but a ZX6 isn't exactly the same as a ZX10! ZX10 will rips your arms off, and then pull out an axe and kill you if you're not already dead. ZX6 is more like a kitten that uses its claws when it plays.

Anybody can make a jump from any bike to any bike, its just a matter of maturity and skill level. That said, not everyone has or wants the desire to own a litre bike. Myself included.

OP, go for the 7R. I always had a thing for them. You'll find it heavier and less repsonsive than the latest drop of supersports, but who cares? I still have a love affair with my well worn 92 GSXR750. Wish there were more 750s on the market.

·
Car Magnet.
275 Posts
No offense dude, but a ZX6 isn't exactly the same as a ZX10! ZX10 will rips your arms off, and then pull out an axe and kill you if you're not already dead. ZX6 is more like a kitten that uses its claws when it plays.
I can get on board with that,
The ZX6 is definitely no litrebike, but it's undeniable, that it is fast as hell, a torque machine, and definitely not something anyone could just waltz up to and flick like it's their bitch.
But yes, I agree, it's no S1000.

·
mike was taken
530 Posts
I can get on board with that,
The ZX6 is definitely no litrebike, but it's undeniable, that it is fast as hell, a torque machine, and definitely not something anyone could just waltz up to and flick like it's their bitch.
But yes, I agree, it's no S1000.
First time someone has ever said a 600 supersport is a "torque machine"... I'd be willing to bet your old f4i put out more torque than your current bike too, as it was less high-strung.

Be careful with that chicken strip thing, they don't mean anything and it sounds like you're heading for a lowside.

·
Car Magnet.
275 Posts
First time someone has ever said a 600 supersport is a "torque machine"... I'd be willing to bet your old f4i put out more torque than your current bike too, as it was less high-strung.

Be careful with that chicken strip thing, they don't mean anything and it sounds like you're heading for a lowside.
Noo no no, I've already been there.
It was a measure of pride for me personally, already hit my limit and I know not to exceed it.
I hear riding on the wall causes bad things to happen. :evilgrin

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
The terms that you are using are relative to your experience, which is "growing".

A skilled rider with a refined sense of feel for what a motorcycle is telling them through their hands, their feet and their butt would positively be able to throw a leg over your bike and scrape the peg feelers in a matter of minutes having never ridden that model previously.

We are involved in a sport where a tremendous amount of emphasis is placed on the machine itself, but without the skill and determination of the rider the machine in simply a useless pile of metal and plastic.

:ghost

·
w a l
68 Posts
You're gonna love the 7R, heavy, but ultra stable. Lots of torque and power that comes in early in the band, unlike other bikes its got some sick mid range to give you a nice gut punch before the monstrous top-end charge.
As they all say, once you've tamed the ZX7R you can ride anything after that.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
I owned a 91 7R and a 95 7R and everything said about them is true. They are a tad heavy but super stable and not to bad for comfort. Lot's of power for extended trips and for having a ton of fun on. Look it over but if you know the owner and know how he takes care of things, half your battle is won already.

Go fer it!!

·
zx7r
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i get it on the 6th.
i'm very excited :rider

has juice...you're the new rider who wants to bling out his monster branded 6r?

.....why????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts